Blogger Widgets

Thursday 2 February 2012

TUTORIAL: OAT MEAL/ PORRIDGE = ULTIMATE SKIN CARE

I am a huge believer in natural skin care products. If I can make it at home using the things in my cupboards, then I'm happy. Still in my teenage years, I don't have the best of skin, and anyone who suffers from acne will know how annoying it can be.

Over the years, I think I have tried most of the high-street facial scrubs and washes, but nothing seems to work. They are usually filled with harsh chemicals and perfumes that don't always agree with skin (especially if yours is sensitive like mine).

One of my favourite natural skin care products is Oat
Meal/Porridge. It's cheap, it's easy to use, and it has great results! I'm not saying this is going to clear up your skin and make you flawless, because I don't there is anything out there that can do that.

However, these handy oats do a lot of good, and there are many ways to use them. I've ditched my shop-bought cleanser and replaced them with oats!

As a cleanser 

I use oats twice a day as a cleanser. I have used so many different cleansers over the years, but nothing has the same effect as oats. I cup the oats in my hand, add water from the tap until they are of a mushy consistency and then I work them gently into my skin.

They are a bit messy, so you might want to this leaning over the sink. Oats are going to calm down your skin, especially if you have inflamed acne or redness. They are also going to fight the bacteria in your skin and help clean out all the bad stuff from your pours. The oats are also going to help heal your skin, which is good if you have active acne. It also leaves your skin feeling refreshed, smooth and clean.

Follow up with a good oil/perfume free moisturiser to lock in that moister goodness in to your skin.

As a mask

If you don't want to use oats as a cleanser, you can also use them as a mask. Cup the oats in your hand, add water until they are saturated, apply to your skin and leave for 15-20 minutes.

For that extra kick, you can combine the oats with Honey (1 table spoon of honey to every 3 table spoons of porridge) (this will get messy). Honey has so many natural benefits for your skin and hair, and along with the porridge oats, it will leave your skin feeling refreshed and cleansed.

Don't be expecting miracles from using the oats, because you are never going to get miracles from anything, but if you notice the small changes, they can add up to a big difference in your appearance and confidence. You should start to notice a difference in your skin after 2 weeks. I have been using the oats for around 2 months now, and I've noticed my skin tone is a lot better and brighter, and my skin feels cleaner.