Blogger Widgets

Friday 3 February 2012

CELEB SPOTLIGHT: LADY GAGA'S BEST/WORST HAIR LOOKS

Over the past 3 years, Lady Gaga has given us more hair looks than we can shake our weaves at. Wigs, weaves, extensions and natural. She has literally done it all, but she always has something else up her sleeve. 

She never seems to walk out of the house wearing the same hair twice, which we all love.

Being a huge fan of the Lady herself, I thought it was only right to look through my favourite hair looks that she has done over the last few years, and my least favourite (you can't love em' all, can you?)


LOVE - HAIR BOW

Can we all just take a minute to appreciate this work of art? You could argue about it, but Lady Gaga kicked off the Hair Bow revolution. I still see girls today trying to replicate the famous bow. I love Gaga's original bow, with the soft full fringe wig, and I love her recent spins on it, going all over-sized.

It just works, and it's very Lady Gaga. It's cute, it's fun, and it makes her look so adorable. Don't you agree? 

It's definitely a look you think of when you say "Gaga hair", as it's one of her very first iconic looks.

NOT-SO-MUCH - TEAL BOB 

Am I the only person that doesn't like Gaga's teal bob? Everyone at the time seemed to love it, but I looked at it with suspicious eyes.

I think the washed out teal (greeny blue) colour does nothing for her complextion, the cut is just too short, and what is with those eyebrows?

I think this colour works when it's longer and messy (and she proved in the You and I video), but it the short, curly guise, it just ages her and doesn't do her any favours.


LOVE - LONG TEAL

The colour is very similar to the teal bob, but here, it works so much better, and I love it. Instead of using the teal on a blonde base, it's used on a dark base with statement black roots. I absolutely loved this wig, and Gaga proved she could work teal.

The main different is the length. The teal bob framed her face badly and looked messy, but the long-length teal looks glamorous, stylish and sophisticated, whilst still being colourful and fun.

I am always a sucker for Gaga's long hair. I think she suits it so much, it makes her looks more feminine, and compliments her face shape a lot! I wish she did more of this!

LOVE - WASHED OUT PINK

From washed out green, to washed out pink. Pale pink was a big colour in 2011, and is going to carry on into 2012, and I think Gaga rocked it so much. I wish she did it for longer! I think I only saw it a few times.

The faded pink colour works brilliantly with her glowing tan and her black outfit. She really makes the hair the centre-piece with the middle parting and silver roots.

I just love it. I also feel I should give a quick mention to her Jonathan Ross 2010 Telephone Hat with Yellow and Lavander. That hair shouldn't work, but it really does, and I never get tired of looking at it. Pinks and purples work so well for Gaga!

NOT-SO-MUCH - BLACK AND BLONDE CHOPPY BOB

I've never been a fan of the short Cleopatra bob on Gaga, and I'm not crazy about the black and blonde combination here. I think she makes it work when there's lots of hair in an intricate headpiece, but not so much in the Edge of Glory video.

I just feel like it's a bit of a miss. I know it's meant to be statement hair, but it doesn't make me go crazy. The length badly frames her face shape, the eye make-up does nothing for it either.

I'm glad she didn't sport this look for long, because it's very harsh on the eye.


LOVE - THE BEEHIVE 

I am a huge lover of the beehive. For me, the bigger the better, and I think Lady Gaga suits it so much. (Maybe she's going by 'The bigger the hair, the closer to god'?)

Weather it's coupled with a bouncy full fringe and long flowing sides, or a total beehive, straight off the face, she's makes it work.

The full fringe beehive is very feminine, very 60s and very classic. The full beehive is a very vintage, sophisticated and also a classic look.

The more hair the better, so get those clip in extensions and get back-combing!

LOVE - YELLOW

I am a huge fan of the yellow Monster Ball/Telephone hair. There's been so many variations of this hair, it's hard to pick a favourite, but I have to say I loved it when it was half blonde and half yellow, big and bouncy for The Monster Ball.


When The Fame Monster era ended, I was sad to say good-bye to the yellow hair, and I'm sure a lot of you were as it's a fan favourite. It's classic Gaga, and I love it! It's like blonde gone bad, and she makes it works so well.

NOT-SO-MUCH - WONKY

I'd love to know what Gaga was thinking when she put this wig on. It almost looks like it's been put on backwards, and someone cut a hole for her face.

It's unflattering, it's a-symmetrical beyond belief, and a wonky full fringe is never a good look. It makes her one eye look a bit odd, and hides half of her face which is never good! We want to see your beautiful face, don't hide it with hair!

I'm glad we only saw this once in 2009 quite early on in her career and she didn't try to do it again.

NEXT!

LOVE - CANS

Only Lady Gaga could put garbidge in her hair, and make it look fabulous. I was a big fan of this look back in 2010, and I still am.

Trying to look stylish in prison is never easy, but with a few Diet Coke cans and a leather jacket, Gaga makes it work oh so well.

This, like the hair bow is another fan favourite to replicate. So many fans tried doing it during a Monster Ball concert, the security made them remove them because they could be a security risk! Bombs in coke cans in your hair...that's a new one.

I'd love to see Gaga work some other brands of fizzy drinks in her hair...

LOVE - CARAMEL JUDAS

I love most of the hair from the Judas video (except this one, but let's say no more about that), but one of my favourites is the Caramel curls she has in the close up. The colour is so...ordinary looking, but it works so well for Gaga.

It works with her skin tone so much, bringing out a lot of warmth, and it makes a refreshing change from her usual platinum locks.

I'd love to see more of Gaga's takes on natural hair colours. I also think the blonde bandanna look needs a quick mention, because so many people are still trying to replicate it! I love it when Gaga has crazy amounts of hair sprouting from her head!

NOT-SO-MUCH - BAD WEAVE

It may have been the hair that started it all off, but Lady Gaga's 'Fame' weave isn't the most convincing of weave's. Back before Lady Gaga could afford to constantly change wigs, she had a blonde weave. The fringe looks wonky and disconnected, and the sides just drop down.

Don't get me wrong, when she switched to wigs, she did that look so much more justice (like here), but that weave just didn't work for me.

I remember when the full fringe and oh-so-long hair was the only look I thought Gaga would have. Oh how I was wrong...


LOVE - SIDE PONY

And because I want to finish on a positive, I thought I'd bring you the side pony to top things off. It's a look Gaga has been rocking throughout her career, but really jazzed it up and brought it to life in 2011.

It's such a playful look, and gives Gaga a retro, but fun look. I especially love the Born This Way ratty/pink side pony. That hair is just impossibly big!

I hope Gaga continues to re-invent the side pony, and bring up something fierce in 2012.



So, they just a few of Gaga's hair looks. I'm sure there are lots that I've skipped past, but this post would be so long if I included them all. With 2012 still in it's early days, I'm excited to see what Gaga has up her sleeve...




If you enjoyed this article, give it a thumbs up, comment and tweet about it?