Blogger Widgets

Saturday 4 February 2012

REVIEW: DOES BAREMINERALS MAKEUP REALLY WORK?

I'm sure you will have heard of BareMinerals make up. It's the make up that claims to be better for your skin, gives you flawless coverage with a natural finish.

Being a self-conscious male, and not having the best skin in the world means I like to turn to makeup to help make my skin look healthier and hide redness and imperfections. It's not the 'norm' for guys to openly wear make up (even though 99% of the guys on TV will have been sat in a make up chair for at least an hour), so I like it to look natural, almost as if I'm not wearing any, and it's very hard to achieve that look.

Over the years I have litteraly tried everything you can buy over the counter. All the liquid foundation brands, creams, powders, the lot, but none of them really give that natural look for me (especially not having clear skin). It often comes across cakey on blemishes and imperfection (especially active acne).

A few months ago, I came across BareMinerals, and I thought I'd give it a try to see if it did what it claimed. I managed to get a pot of the BareMinerals Original Foundation (Fairly Light N10) for around £18 (free delivery) from feelunique.com. I've been using the product for a few weeks now, and I am so glad I bought it.

Before I start raving about it, let me just say, it doesn't make me look flawless and amazing. No matter how much I'd want my face to look like that, right now, it's not going to happen. However, what BareMinerals does do, is reduces redness, is light, lasts ALL DAY (no joke) and you can't really tell it's there.

I combine Bareminerals with a cream-based concealer. I like to use one of the Max Factor Pan Sticks, because of the coverage it gives. I'm not trying to make my face look flawless, just a little bit better, so I like how to two work together.

The BareMinerals powder, isn't like most powders. I find it's a bit creamier, thicker, but lighter at the same time. The pot has special holes to sprinkle out the amount you want into the lid, you swirl your brush in the powder and buff onto your face.

I think it I didn't have blemishes on my skin, it would look so flawless, but the clear parts of my skin look amazing with this. You really can't tell it's there (in most lights). On blemishes, the powder doesn't 'cake' like most powders and liquid foundations, but I'd recommend not using so much, because it can end up going that way. It's very good at hiding the redness though.

I don't think Bare Minerals will work for everyone though. I don't think it will work on very dry skin types, as powders and dry skin don't tend to mix that well. I've heard it works great on oily and combination skin, as it stops the shine that can be created with those skin types. I have combination skin, and my face stays pretty much matte all day with it. Some people have also said that BareMinerals has given them really bad breakouts but others have said it has helped their acne, so it really depends on your skin type.

I love it, and I definitely want to try more from the BareMinerals range, especially the concealers and primers, so I'd recommend this to anyone who wants natural looking makeup (and who doesn't want that?).

7/10


If you enjoyed this article, give it a thumbs up, comment and tweet about it?